Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Phony Part 2

I wrote earlier how I was invited to be a resource speaker, and my mind was scrambling on what to speak.

I hadn't drawn in the longest time, and my interests in the creative arts had shifted from drawing to writing.

"Okay, what do I do now, Nurj?"

I said yes to this once in a life time opportunity, because it IS a once in a life time opportunity.

I said yes to this opportunity because I made a promise to myself that 2016 would be the year when I try to do different things.

2016 is about taking little steps, and going outside of the beloved comfort zone.

I'm not the greatest resource speaker in the world.

I'm an introvert. I stammer. I'm a perfectionist. I'm serious.

But when I create powerpoint presentations, I always find myself putting 9gag memes.

Memes.

There is something about memes that make me happy, then makes everything not become serious.

I was going to speak... and I had no idea how and what to deliver.

I binged on chocolate crinkles my friend gave me from Baguio City and as I went to the pantry room to brush my teeth, a trail of thoughts flashed through my mind.

Use theme and concept.
 Use the "how to fail" idea.
 Ground it on the idea that 'All advice is autobiographical'

As I brushed my teeth, the ideas came to me, pouring like the rain. By the time I finished, I had an inkling on what to present.

I had to present my honesty.

I had to present my experience.

I had to present what I had done.

I had to present what I had not done.

I had to present everything in 20 minutes.

20 minutes is enough, and at the same time, it isn't enough.

To speak on how to draw and cram into 20 minutes is ridiculous.

But it's possible, after all... refer to Parkinson's Law.

"Work expands to fill the time it's alloted for."

20 minutes is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...