Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Applying the Three Act Structure, as taught by Steven Pressfield

I changed my writing approach.

(All hail Steven Pressfield!)

Okay, that was just a joke.

But yes, I changed my writing approach.

How?

For starters, I went back to the basics.

I understood in 30 minutes what took me 14 years of education tried to teach me.

(All hail Steven Pressfield!)

He simply made me understand what Theme is. What the Inciting Incident Is. What Climax Is. What narrative device is. What the Three Act structure is. How to Use the Three Act Structure.

He made everything so simple.

Like, for example. Here's how I applied what I learned from him:

========================================================================

Act 1:  Julia decides to move on with her life without the ghosts of her past

Act 2: Her attempts to become a better wife and mother.

Act 3: Julia’s confession that she loves her husband and their child and is happy that she is with them

Inciting Incident: Cradling Rinoa and Caraway waking up to change the diapers

Climax: Confession to Caraway that she loves him.

POV: Julia


Theme: Creating a new life without letting the ghosts of your past haunt you. 

================================================= 

Okay. It's far from perfect. 

But I was finally able to write Chapter 14. 

I knew how it would start. I knew how it would end. 

A far cry from my previous attempts, wherein I would just dive into the chapter with a vague idea how to write the chapter. 

There you have it!

Thanks Pressfield!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...