Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

This thing called "Body Relativity"

We are all born with a particular weakness, and in my case, it's a two-word thing called "Color Theory".

Despite being involved with the visual art scene in my youth, color is a concept I continue to struggle. Luckily, with the help of several blogs and persistent, I was able to scratch beyond the surface to understand it.

Now, you may be wondering why I'm babbling about colors, where in fact, my topic is all about Body Relativity. 

The gist of color relativity is simple- context affects how color is perceived. 

Body relativity is an idea I coined-The environment affects how a person's body is perceived. 

Environment does not restrict itself to the physical environment, but also includes people; their biases; and how they perceive a person's body should be. 

Now, again, you must be wondering why I'm babbling about body relativity. 

It's simple. 

The other night, a friend complimented how good I looked. Several days later, another friend wondered what happened to my body (and based on how I interpreted her body language and the statement... she was shocked how my body had changed and asked if I got married... i got a negative vibe from her). 

It suddenly clicked to me that everyone has their own notion of what my ideal body should be. And that notion is what matters. 

If the present appearance doesn't conform to their notion, they will willingly voice it for me. If the present appearance does conform, they do not tell me anything at all. 

It's meaningless to continuously meet another's notion of you. We meet thousands of people in our lifetime and it is tiring to conform to a thousand of expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...