Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Monday, June 27, 2016

My Lifetime as a gamer girl

In yesterday's post, I wrote about Lifetimes.Let me write something about being a gamer girl.

I'm still in my early twenties (okay, I think I'm in my mid-twenties now!), so let's go back in time... to the late 90s.

My first exposure to videogames was a Family Computer (FamiCom) my mom bought. I was around 4-5 years old.

source: wikipedia


I used to play hours of Super Mario and Adventure Island. After a couple of games, I noticed I had difficulty in sleeping. That ended my love affair with FamiCom.

Then when I was around 6-7 years old, I started a love affair with Sony's Playstation (PSX or PSone). My mom left me in this facility (I don't know what you call them, but there are other kids, lots of toys. that was heaven for a kid, believe me!) and that's where I met the Playstation.

After a year, my mom took me to Toy Kingdom in SM Megamall and bought me a Playstation! and I had free 20 games too!

My GOD!

I chose casual games, and they were pretty fun.

Until I bought my 21st and 22nd game (Megaman X8 and  Wild Arms 2).

Wild Arms 2 changed my life.

Source: http://sheattack.com/retro-review-wild-arms-2/

It opened to me the Japanese Role Playing Game (JRPG) genre that dazzled me for a decade!

That was year 2000 or 2001.

Since then, I've bought dozens of JRPGs and spent majority of my childhood, adolescent and teenage years playing JRPGs. I cannot count the number of hours I poured on playing games.

Then in 2004, I wanted to have a Playstation 2.... BADLY.

Final Fantasy X was very popular during this year. I was begging for my mom to buy me one.




My mom declined my request for 2 reasons:

1. Too expensive. It cost Php 17,000.00

2. She was not going to feed my addiction. I was already spending hours on my playstation. I was ignoring my mom. No way was she going to give me another reason to glue my eyes to the television.

I played JRPGs until I was 18. Then my playstation broke, and my only means to play was an esPSXE emulator.

Of course, I focused on my studies, Licensure Exam Review and Work.... I naturally grew out of my drive to purchase and play games (though I did win an Undertale Game from RPGenius! :D)

But I do still feel giddy when I hear people talk about the games I grew up.

The nostalgia is very very strong, even until now.



Would I continue to play games right now? I doubt it. I'm no longer the same person I was 8 years ago. I no longer have the patience to devote hours to play JRPGs, when I can devote the same number of hours to make personal improvements in my life. (the only games I replay are Azure Dreams, Legend of Mana, FF8 and Persona 2. I'm still looking for my Arc the Lad discs though!)

As a matter of fact, I wrote an answer in Quora, whether playing videogames are a waste of time.

Playing Videogames had an impact on my life. Being a gamer girl was my identity during those years. But being a gamer girl also is the opportunity cost of not going out there to socialize.

If I could go back in time, I wish I could have struck for a healthier school-socialize-games balanced lifestyle. But you can't turn back time.

So there you have it!

One of my life time as a gamer girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...