Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Lessons from my short-lived episode recap blog

From March to April 2016, I established my first episode recap blog of a local series titled "Ang Probinsyano".

Yet the project was short-lived. I lost interest in the show after they killed one character I was invested in.

As I look back, I tried to glean the lessons the brief project had in my life.

1. The Law of Equivalent Exchange. This is what Edward a & Alphonse Elric forgot when they tried to revive their deceased mom in Full Metal Alchemist. This is the foundation of alchemy. This is an important food for thought in life. Anything worthwhile doing has a cost. In my case, the cost of creating and updating my recap blog was my time, sweat, concentration, effort,  hours of sleep and skipping other projects.


2. It’s fun when you people support your project. I found myself a Facebook group who were fans of the Coco Martin and Bela Padilla tandem. Some were pretty supportive of my project to document the episodes (because they could not tolerate what was happening to Carmen’s character at that time). Yep, it feels wonderful to have feedback. There was this guy who always commented on my post on that facebook page. I greatly appreciated his inputs. I also received a bunch of comments on the blog. It’s nice to hear feedback. It’s validation that there are people out there who like what I’m doing.

3. You will constantly question if it is worth it. Honestly, when you obsess about the pageviews, you will start to question if it’s worth it. This is the same trap I fell into, when I was in the webcomic scene. I stopped drawing because I found pageviews to be more important. During moments like these, it’s important to remind yourself what’s important and follow it. Page views, or a body of work? I also questioned whether someone would take time and read what I wrote. There's Iwantv.com, or some site where they can stream the shows for free. Then I recall the many recaps of Korean Drama, and latin telenovelas. Yes. There’s a market for this. And I would be the first one to cater to it.

4. It’s alright to have a crappy first draft. It was hard. Seriously. It was shit. But It had to be shit. Or else, I would have nothing to edit. I was furiously encoding while watching. I had never utilize as hard as ever, my hand-eye coordination. I was typing a mix of English, tagalog and bisaya… just to get the point across. And I did. I typed. I allowed my writing to look bad. Because I knew I would edit it later. Just like other projects, if I allowed myself to be stuck--- this needs to be perfect, then I would have never gotten the episode recap done.

5. Improvement follows after a repetition of actions. My writing improved after a week of recap. I could type quickly. I could edit quickly. My vocabulary got better. My command of verbs got better. I even had to creatively think of alternatives to "he said/she said".

6. Commitment is a choice. The first day I started, I promised myself I would post the recap blog within 2 hours after writing the draft/ watching the show. Like what? Could I really do this? I was a problematic minute-taker during the first two years of my job as an administrative assistant. Could I really do something this… outrageous? What about my grammar? Seriously, I was afraid of looking bad. But then again, I could always go back and edit it (which I never did, btw). But I told myself, I can commit at least 2 hours a night. (1 hour to watch/draft, 1-1.5hrs to improve the draft, then hit publish, come what may). The result? Yes,  before the clock hit 11pm, 98% would the entry be posted.

7. It's okay to say goodbye when you feel it's enough. I had it. The death of Bela Padilla's character also killed my interest in the show. I knew Coco Martin was going to be pushed into Maja Salvador's arms. It wasn't worth it anymore. I was skipping 8 hours of sleep a datly, hoping Bela and Coco's tandem would push through. It didn't and I quit. Time is a precious commodity. If it no longer interests you, switch to something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...