Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Define what blogging means for you... or another person will

I had another epiphany of sorts while I attended the Final Question and Answer Segment in Arriane Serafico's Online Course, Braver Goals.

Was I going to be another human spam in the world wide web? Is my blog just another noise in this noisy world?

Suddenly, the ground underneath me shifted, knocking me unconscious. I saw a different horizon and for the first time, I contemplated why I blog.

Why am I even blogging?

Let me tell you, three people have influenced me to become a keyboard warrior:

1. C.J. Chilvers
2. Seth Godin
3. Austin Kleon.

These three have advocated blogging daily, and I took their advice to heart. Since June 2016, I've posted daily, accumulating almost 150 blog posts.

150 blog posts... can you imagine that?

A year ago, I would have never imagined it possible. While I am happy with the quantity, I have reached the point that I now question the quality of my written word.

Going back, I've realized some of my posts are personal rants-- Noises.

I'm beginning to ask the important questions: what the heck am I blogging? Am I blogging for the sake of blogging? Am I blogging to make a mark? Seriously, why am I busting my ass to blog daily? What is my niche?

Numerous questions are locked in my head, engaged in a vicious swimming spree. Unless I find my answers, my blog will continue to become a mess.

I don't regret following Chilvers', Godin's and Kleon's advice. They've taught me an important lesson. If you want to know whether an idea works for you, then go for it.

I went for writing daily blog posts, and while I was happy I was showing up consistently, I began to question the quality. Then Arriane Serafico pops up and I begin to question the mark I want to leave in this internet world.

yes, I'm contemplating another revamp.... or a possible make-over. starting a blog from scratch.

I've started several blogs, like several bloggers. I've ditched several blogs, like several bloggers. Does the experience dishearten me? No. It's teaching me something.

I learned from Sara Blakely to look for the hidden blessing in everything, and with October 13's question and answer segment, I found a hidden gem in how I approach blogging.

What is blogging?

It's important to define what blogging means for you. Either you define something, or the world will define it for you.

For years, I defined blogging as someone who actively posts online with a following. With that framework, I set my heart to regularly posting online... with not so good results.

As long as I was posting online... I was a blogger, yes?

So when last night's Q&A segment came into play, and when I started to ask the important questions... I found my conclusion:

Blogging is all about influence.
 
A Blogger is person who has the power to influence.

A Blogger is someone who makes a difference in another person's life. 

Okay... am I describing a leader?

John Maxwell defines the same thing-- Leadership is influence. 

Okay. My personal definition is that. A blog is a channel to influence people and make a difference in their lives. A blogger is a person who wields that awesome power.

Isn't that cool?

I've finally defined something for the first time!

Now that my viewpoint on blogging has changed, there are other old concepts and projects which are about to be uprooted too.

I admire other bloggers who've found their niche, and who help other people make a difference in their lives.

I hope to be a person like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...