Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Criticsim, even constructive ones, hurt!

"...Some technical errors and a few writing choices are weak..."


Ouch, now that hurt!

As I expected, after reading his review I could feel my defenses build up.

I readied to justify the fact that it was something I left unwritten 4 years ago.

Then I stopped.

What the heck was I doing?

Owe it up, girl! The writing sucked!

It's a hard truth to swallow, but yes, my writing was weak. Could or might have been weak.

Anything we give birth to and gets criticized? It hurts.

But you know, it doesn't have to be that way.

Keep in mind, why did I even write that anyway?

I always remind myself, "You have a choice."

A choice to quit and abandon the project, or a choice to persist and continue.

But still, the feeling sucks.

Deal with it. Well, better yet, get used to it!

The immediate response to criticism is to defend ourselves. That's a fact. 

We try to flinch from pain. It's normal. Who doesn't abhor pain?

But feel the pain. Allow yourself to feel it for a couple of seconds. 

Allow yourself to to think and justify.

Then catch yourself in third person observing whatever you are doing.

She's offended.

She's trying to make excuses.

She's trying to defend herself.

She doesn't want to be hurt.

She's being defensive. 

She doesn't want to accept that someone's opinion differs from her.

Weird, yes?

But it helps diffuse the tension and fixation of being hurt. 

Right now, I feel better and grateful. 

Why? Because this comment came from someone whom I never expected to correspond with. 

He asked for a link to my fan fiction, even telling me there was a possibility he might not read it. 

But he still did. He took time, and I respect that. 

My 2012 writing sucks, but I can make a difference for 2016.

I will persist.

Thank you the_rpgenius for unwittingly motivating me to improve my writing ability! 

You might never read this blog, but again, I would like to say thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...