Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Why I like stickpeople art these days

I'm acknowledge the fact that not the best artist/creative/visual artist in the world. I allowed my ego to get the best of me. The result? I stopped growing as a creative.

I haven't drawn a decent projct for a long time (except for my watercolor painting..an output of an artworkshop I enrolled in)

I substituted drawing. Writing is easier than drawing. I'm not the best writer out therem my writing sucks. However it does feel great when your works are appreciated.

I've been taking my masters degree in public administration for almost a year now. I honestly hated it at first.

But something marvelous happened.  I had fun with the people I met. I've come to realize I like to meet new people, especially when we have a mutual goal in mind. In this case--- obtaining our masters degree.

Individual eporting is a staple in graduate school. Each subject always gives you a topic to discuss. I was actually scared with my first reports . I'm not fluent in english (but I am in Tagalog) , so I mostly speak in tagalog.

Being a reader and a wannabe scientist that I am.... I experiment on myself. When I read a very good book, I test all my learnings.

For example, from Art Markman, I learned that the significance of the Rule of 3. THe moment I started to report, I incorporated memes and stories in my reports. I also simplified my report in 3 major points and connect my topic to something the audience knows. Creating memes can be tiring, so I decided to draw my own interpretation of examples in reports.

I use simple stick people. My inspiraration? Http://www.waitbutwhy.com


The simple stickfigure drawing left an impression on me. You don't need to be that good if you want to tell a great story/messsage (okay, sometimes it DOES matter). It's not what I used to draw. But I have to admit, I am immensely amused with the blogger's stickpeople. I always smile when I read his blogs and see his images.

And that is the tale why I decided to draw using stickpeople, an art form very popular amongst preschool-elementary children (depending on the child's artistic abilities too) . I had nothing lose.

By drawing stickpeople, my focus was to capture the stickman's emotions through facial expressions and gestures.

And I think it paid off.

When one classmate asked me to draw a couple of stick guys to complement his report, I immediately said yes. I had nothing to lose.

After presentation, I had another officemate who told me she really like my stickpeople art. "You could feel the emotion from those tiny figures. It makes me happy!" . She had actually no idea I drew the stickguys from my imaginaion until CJ told the class he asked for my help.

Will I stick to stickpeople forever? No. This is just a phase. A part of my improvent as a creative. I limited myself to anime/manga inspired art. I stagnated.

To live is to learn. To live is to adapt. To live is to inspire and be inspired.






 Some of the stickpeople art I drew for CJ. His topic was about Mercedita, a woman who lived under the bridges in Manila until she died of Tuberculosis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...