Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Wild Arms 2: Heroes and Villains

I bought a playstation game in 2001, but managed to get deeply involved with it in 2004.

That game was Wild Arms 2. 

Despite the bad reviews that game got, despite the fact that it was badly localized... I loved it.

I loved it despite the flaws that were blatantly obvious. Poor translation. That it paled to the original Wild Arms. blah blah blah

You could call it. "Loving someone who's unlovable."

There was something about Wild Arms 2 that struck me until today.

I cannot get over the story and the characters.

Truth is, I cannot get over the villains of that story.

Those villains were "Terrorists", by the way.

So why am I obsessed with the baddies?

Is there something wrong with my morality?

Maybe not.

But there's something about Wild Arms 2 that I'd like to share.

It was the first game that made me question the concept of "Heroes" and "Villains".

The protagonist was someone who didn't want to be a hero. The protagonist's girlfriend did want him to be a hero.

Because heroes exist when there's war. Because heroes exist when there's chaos. Because heroes die. 

Then there's "Odessa", the terrorist group terrorizing the world I'm protecting.

...only that they are terrorists because they were "hired" to be one.

They were hired to become terrorists so that the world would unite. They were hired in preparation of a dimensional being that threatened to devour their world.

They were paid to become the "bad guys"for the greater good.

They were the sacrificial lambs.

And the tragedy is that the developers, Media.Vision and Contrail, did not expound their stories!

What pushed Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus to accept Irving's proposition? (SPOILERS: Irving is the protagonist's boss. Irving is also the financial source of the terrorist group. Irving played us all!)

What pushed the Cocytus (Caina, Judecca, Ptolomea and Antenora) to believe in Vinsfeld and Irving?

Why were they willing to be put in such a bad light, just to save the world?

I'm dying to learn the answers, unfortunately, I will never get them.

 It's such a strong urge that sixteen years later, it's an itch I cannot scratch.

Perhaps it's because of my interest in Psychology and curiosity to understand the reasons why a person makes the choices they do.

This also made me think about the villains, or the baddies in my own life.

I don't think they exist to make my life a living hell.

I think they exist to make me realize the diversity of life. The diversity of people. The diversity of beliefs and opinions.

Diversity.

Oh, look at what I wrote just because of a badly translated videogame!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...