Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Monday, May 2, 2016

Book Reflection on Charles Duhigg's Smarter Faster Better: Choice and Why Muscle

Hola! It's been a while. 

I've abandoned several projects. Work has been eating my time (or should I say that I haven't prioritized my time which is why work has been encroaching my creative and leisure time? That's for another post.)

I love to read books.

Books are the perfect boredom-reliever/mood booster/motivator for me. I'm aware that other people view them as sedatives, but for me, books are life!

Last Sunday, I was window shopping at the National Book Store at the SM City Ecoland branch in Davao City, when I saw Charles Duhigg's second book. I never read it despite having the epub version. I was skimming the back cover when a sentence caught my eye. It was all about motivation and the US marines. 

Okay. I will definitely read that book!

I bought Daniel Goleman books that day, yet I chose to read Duhigg's book. As of writing this, I have yet to finish that book. Duhigg's a wonderful storyteller, but I really don't like the fact that the narration jump from one paragraph to another. It's confusing, but still, my patience was rewarded when I finished the first chapter. 

And this is what this blog post is all about.



Three learnings from the Motivation Chapter:

1. Exercise your "Choice Muscle"

Growing up, I was a wimp (or that was how I saw myself. Like Quintanilla (in the book), I didn't know what I wanted to be. 

I was dependent on my mom. I was used to being served. I never really thought for myself, like what I wanted, what course to take, what job to apply to. I was the type who "went with the flow". 

Upon reading and reflecting this chapter, it was during those moments when I chose to take tiny action steps (by writing my outcome and what actions to take) that I learned to strengthen my "choice muscle".

The choice muscle (okay, I personally coined this phrase. It sounds cool!) is where you make daily choices, giving you a sense of control. 

It was the moment I decided to transfer to my own bedroom (after sleeping in the same bed and room with my mom) that I gained a tiny sense of control. It was also the moment that I deliberately donated boxes of unused clothes and books that I also felt a sense of control, that "hey, I made this choice! congratulations!".


2. Exercise the "Why Muscle".

According to what I read, when you are confronted with a hard situation./chore, ask yourself "why"? There is something about why that gives you a sense of purpose to continue the activity. 

I have yet to exercise my "why muscle", and I've started today! 

Why am I walking from the highway to my house when I could just pay Php 10 and save time? Because it's my chance at exercise, and meditate as I walk home

Why am I choosing to forgo television? Because I want to make time for other important activities. 

2. Effort trumps effortless. 

I have been told how smart I am, or how gifted I am at art when I was young. I think that was what killed my creative habit. or drawing habit. It's the notion that you are a "natural" and that you don't need to make effort to create, it comes naturally to you. 

I think by adopting that mindset, I stopped drawing. I stopped pushing myself to excel and learn new skills. I was content that I was "great" and "natural" at art. Looking back, it was those activities where I exerted effort that made me truly proud (like how I learned to whistle, or wiggle my ears)

When you work hard for something, you value it more. When you give effort, you strengthen you internal locus of control, "that I can influence my destiny with my actions".

I have yet to finish Duhigg's book, it's an interesting book to read and the learning are applicable in real life. 

I really wanted to write my thoughts about this chapter. It's my favorite part of the book. I can relate with the character, Eric Quintanilla in the book. He was indecisive and unsure about the future, until he enlisted in the Marines. While I know I will not enlist in the Marines (or the Philippine National Police since I have a friend asking my if I'm interested to join), I definitely know I will exercise my choice and why muscles. 

I have been exercising my Idea Muscle for 10 months now. How hard can it be to exercise two other muscles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...