Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Smartphone Zombies


I witnessed a different kind of horror yesterday. 

Our neighbor invited us to have dinner to celebrate her grandson's graduation day. The last timeI saw the kid more than 10 years ago. And who could say no to free food? So when we went inside their house,  I was greeted with a lovely sight:

 Five kids sat beside each other as their eyes made love with their smartphone screens. 




I was transfixed with the scene that greeted me as well. As I slowly absorbed the scene in my head, I caught a glimpse of what my mother must have seen everytime I made love with my playstation games and smartphone as well.



Not a pleasant sight, I tell you. 

Though I'm well aware how different the present generation of children are. When I was their age, I was playing my gameboy and reading comic book magazines. When I was their age, I impatiently waited to go home and play games. When I was their age, I had not idea what the internet was, nor what Friendster was.

Of course I'm well aware of psychological projection. I've done the same thing they're doing. As a matter of fact, I still do it!

I'm aware how it's unfair to compare my childhood with theirs. I'm not saying how horrible these kids are and that their parents should stop them. They're not my children. 

But I just felt sad for myself and for my mom. 

So that was how it felt to be with someone in the same room yet their attention wasn't focused on you. 

I could treat my mom better. I could treat my other friends and acquaintances better. 

It feels so different. I thought I could excuse myself for just staring at the screen when I'm bored  But when you see a bunch of people group together making love with their smartphone screens...

It's a different kind of horror story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...