Thoughts to Ponder

Give yourself the freedom to create with worries. There's a reason why the "Edit" button was created.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

How Steve Kamb's Epic Quest changed my perspective on Bucket Lists



What I used to think about Bucket Lists: 
 They are for the Terminally Ill.

No, I'm not kidding.

Remember Jamie from a walk to remember?
Yes, the character Mandy Moore played back in the early 2000? 
She was Shane West's love interest for the Film Adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' "A Walk to Remember"

image credit to whttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Walk_to_Remember
I can't believe this movie is 12 years old already!

Before Jamie bid her eternal goodbye, her love interest Landon, patiently and lovingly made her "Wishlist" come true. As a young child, it held a lasting impression upon me.Therefore, I couldn't blame my young mind for thinking "Bucket Lists are for the Terminally Ill".





Then Enter this Dude.

Photocredit to Steve Kamb's Twitter Account.
Isn't he cute?  

This Dude, Steve Kamb, radically changed my concept about Bucket Lists.

He christened his Bucket List as  "Steve Kamb's Epic Quest of Awesome".
Judging from the name, you'll have an idea about what differentiates it from the typical 
<Insert name's >bucket list.

Image Credit to NerdFitness.com
This strongly reminds me of Indiana Jones for some reason.


You see, his Bucket List Epic Quest of Awesome has Levels AND Experience Points!
 For every accomplishment achieved, Steve gains 20% Experience Points. 
When he accomplishes 5 things from the list, he levels up!

HIS BUCKET LIST IS JUST LIKE A FREAKING RPG!
HE'S LIKE A BREATHING AND LIVING RPG CHARACTER!

Image taken from http://www.haywiremag.com/?p=890
Final Fantasy 8. One of the JRPGs which rendered me a Final Fantasy Fangirl


A little bit of history.

I loved Japanese Role Playing Games.

I loved them with my whole heart that I dreamed of becoming a game developer and make video games as a profession. However, reality made me choose a practical profession and that's another story.

I devoted my entire childhood in playing JRPGs:
  •  Final Fantasies
  •  Lunar Series
  •  Wild Arms Series
  •  Grandia Series
  •  Brave Fencer Musashi
  • Harvest Moon
  •  Suikoden Series
  •  Legend of Mana
  •  Legend of Legaia
  •  Alundra
  •  and other JRPGs found in the Playstation and Gameboy Color-Advance Era


Steve did me a great favor by making me realize that I can apply gaming elements in Bucket Lists/Goals to make it enjoyable. It has opened a whole new world for me. Who would have thought that applying RPG elements to your life would be feasible? Who would have thought that it'd work?

In September 2013, I set out and created my own version of "Epic Quest".  When  recently checked the document, I see that I've already done some in my list. (but there are some which I haven't done yet, i also haven't updated it and i haven't determined what my level is)


Have fun in making your own Epic Quests!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...